FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION & ONGOING SCAMS
Dear Valued Chery Owner, Dealer or Authorised Supplier,
IN RE: FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION & ONGOING SCAMS
Chery International (Pty) Ltd t/a Chery South Africa (“Chery”) cares deeply about its clients and stakeholders. We are writing to inform you about a growing concern regarding fraudulent scams targeting Chery Owners.
- It has come to our attention that Chery Owners are contacted by persons falsely presenting themselves as Chery Head Office employees. These impersonators seek to illicit sensitive information, financial details, vehicle details (i.e. vehicle identification numbers) or other personal information.
- Chery Owners are contacted, and the personal information elicited whereafter arrangements are made to instal upgraded software (i.e. software for stolen vehicle recovery) on their Chery Vehicles at their home addresses. Chery Owners then fall victim to these scams, which result in theft of their vehicles, financial loss, identity theft or other serious consequences.
- The security and privacy of your information remain our highest priority. Our dedicated team examined our systems and databases, and we can confidently state, given this investigation, that all data held by Chery International (Pty) Ltd, whether personal or business-related, remains secure and intact.
- However, as a member of the Chery Family or an important stakeholder and/or investor in the Chery Network, we urge you to be vigilant not only of your own information but also of the sensitive/personal information of others.
- To protect yourself from falling victim to these fraudulent activities, we urge you to exercise caution and follow these guidelines:
5.1. Verify the Source: Before sharing any personal or financial information, verify the legitimacy of the communication. Contact Chery Head Office or your Chery Dealer directly using official contact information available on their official website or documentation.
5.2. Be Wary of Urgency: Scammers often create a sense of urgency to pressure individuals into making quick decisions. Take your time to verify the information before taking any action.
5.3. Protect Personal Information: Do not share sensitive information like your identity number, vehicle registration number or vehicle identification number via email, text messages, or over the phone unless you initiated the contact and are sure about the recipient’s identity.
5.4. Stay Informed: Stay up to date with the latest scam trends and tactics. Visit reliable sources such as government websites and consumer protection agencies or your bank’s website for information on common scams and how to avoid them.
5.5. Use Secure Connections: When accessing sensitive accounts or making online transactions, ensure you are using a secure and trusted network.
5.6. Keep Software Updated: Regularly update your operating systems, antivirus software, and applications to protect against potential vulnerabilities.
5.7. Report Suspicious Activity: If you receive any communication from Chery or a Chery employee that seems suspicious, do not engage with it. Instead, report it to Chery’s Head Office or your nearest Chery Dealer, who will pass it on to our designated team.
- Your safety is of utmost importance to us. We are continuously monitoring the situation and taking necessary measures to enhance the security of our services. If you have any concerns or questions about the legitimacy of any communication claiming to be from Chery International (Pty) Ltd, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our customer service team at 010 448 5388.
CHERY LEGAL DEPARTMENT
PER: B GROBBELAAR
Legal Officer / General in-house counsel